received a brand-new Textrix set from
LEGO Education. The students started to get familiar with the stuff.
Just playing a bit, observing the tutorial, etc.
- Excellent material
- Needs habile hands, so targets high-school kids
- see the photos:
Next session: build a dual-drive robot base.
Idea for a challenge: Build a robot that may explore
the Luxembourg "Casemates" equiped with a camera! Cool idea.
of the Casemates exploration robot
that a casemate
is a vaulted chamber of a fortress. As Luxembourg-City was a famous
citadel, fortified by Vauban,
the town has a lot of such chambers.)
- The "Convict Episcopal" boarding
institution is built on top of the ancient "Fort Rheinsheim".
There exist casemates below the cellar, which nobody has entered for at
least 20 years.
- ==> The idea is to have an exploration robot
that can investigate these casemates.
- The robot must be able to circumvent obstacles,
pass staircases, step over garbage and stones.
- Therefore it must be equipped with a sensor that
gives information about the orientation in the gravitational field.
- We could get some inspiration from insects:
- make a 4- or 6-legged bug
- this is relaistic, because we can use up to 6
servo-motors with one Tetrix controller
- we need a valuable mechanism for locomotion
- find a way to coordinate the legs
- Imagine all the possible positions that the robot
may experience, in order to know how it must be designed
- Add a turnable camera and (infrared) lamp: life
pictures send to the operators.
- The robot must be semi-autonomous:
- steerable by the operators
- however, the robot must be able to detect
illicit movements that might cause serious troubles
- it must be able to solve the terrain problems
- The robot should draw a map of its motion: use a
compass and dead reckoning
- We have no idea yet, if the communication can be
done by radio, or acoustic (eventually subsonic) signals, or whether we
need a wired connection.
- We will probably use LEGO pieces with the Tetrix
metallic parts: ==> hybrid robot.
- The robot will have a secret mission that we will
only make publically available after the final mission. (We hope that no
information about this mission will slip through!!)